Hire a Student

To work in the Fall or Spring a student must be registered for at least one course in the semester(s) they plan to work.

To work during the summer a student must be enrolled in at least one summer session


Must have been enrolled in the spring semester and is pre-registered for fall.

To work beyond the last day of finals a student must be enrolled in the next semester.

If your student HAS worked on campus before (within the past year)


  • an EPAF form (only if your department is approved to use EPAF)

HAS NOT worked on campus before (or three years since they have)

If the student doesn’t know if they have worked before call or email us with the student’s name and Banner ID and we will check for you.

Inform New-Hire students that they MUST be authorized by the Office of Student Employment before their first day of work, this includes any training.


  • After a student presents their Student Employment Forms and completes employment verification with our office they must sign up for direct deposit enrollment on their Appalnet account.
    Not sure if the student has worked before? Call or email us with the students name and Banner ID and we will check for you.

For New Supervisors:

  • Student Confidentiality Agreement  optional form for your reference if issues arise with work place conduct.
  • Add specific guidelines to this handbook reference to help set expectations for your student workers

Food Service, UREC, and other departments on the EPAF system may use this Hourly Wage Form(.doc) (Please do not use this form if you are not on Stromberg payroll.)

A new University Mandate has centralized the I-9 and E-verify process at App State. As of July 1st 2015, the Office of Student Employment, with the support of Human Resources, now conducts the I-9 and E-verify processing of student temps and work study students. Supervisors’ old E-verify accounts will be suspended on this date.

Inform your new student worker that if they have never worked on campus before, they must visit the centralized I-9 site on the third floor of the JET Bldg, Room 389 or 390 prior to the first day of employment.

PLEASE Advise your new hire to bring unexpired, original IDs listed in the I-9 directions (page 9 “Lists of Acceptable Documents”) when they fill out the Student Temporary Authorization with you.


  • We will send email reminders for Authorization deadlines two or three days before each payroll time entry window closes. We have to process your students’ paperwork and submit it to payroll before the time entry window closes for the period in which your student began working (1st -15th of the month or 16th end of the month), so that your student can enter their time into web time entry and the department approver can approve their time.


  • Mail or hand-deliver your paperwork to Student Employment, 389 John E. Thomas Bldg.

  • Incomplete paperwork will be returned with a note describing what is missing.

Amending Forms

  • If you need to amend an authorization (changed end date, wage increase, different FOAP code, etc) cross out the old info on your copy, write in the new, indicate which field you revised on the top of the form, initial, date, and send us a photocopy.

On the Job Guidelines

Customer Service

  • Treat your customers (faculty, staff members, clients or students) like you would like to be treated. A smile and a friendly greeting go a long way. The way in which you interact with customers shapes their impression of your department.
  • Cultivate good relationships and keep open communication with your coworkers and supervisors.
  • When answering the telephone, state “Department name, how may I help you?” If the call is not addressed to your area, politely explain that you will transfer the call and do so.  If the person asked for is not in, take and deliver a complete message.


  • Strive to be knowledgeable about your department and if there are requests, questions or policies for which you are unsure, ask your supervisor.
  • Call in as soon as you know you won’t be able to make a scheduled shift, and not later than the beginning of your shift.  Maintain open communication about any schedule changes with your supervisor.
  • Do not come to work expecting to study or finish a project. When activity is slow, ask your supervisor if there is anything that needs to be done. If not, you may ask if you can study. Switch from study mode to work mode if work needs arise.
  • Do not leave your assigned area while on duty without notifying your supervisor.

Workplace Behavior

  • Dress professionally and appropriately for your position. 
  • Maintain a neat and clean work area. Store your personal effects out of the way and out of sight.
  • Unless approved by your supervisor, do not eat at or around your workstation.
  • Cell phone use is prohibited unless there is a definite emergency.  Cell phones should be turned off at all times while at work.
  • Do not allow friends to visit you while at work.


Students should report to work when scheduled unless prior arrangements have been approved by the supervisor.  Call before, or at least by, the time you are scheduled as soon as you know you will miss a shift or if you will be late.  Repeat absences and tardiness can result in termination by the student’s supervisor.


For holidays and days like Convocation, when no classes are held, pre-arrange a work schedule. Do not automatically assume that if classes are not being held you do not have to report to work.  A graduating student may work as a student temp until the last day of finals.  At the end of the spring semester, a student temp who is not registered for summer sessions or preregistered for the fall semester must also stop working under the student temp classification on the last day of finals.

Adverse Weather Policy

As conditions vary across our region, all employees of the university may use their own judgment regarding the safety of getting to and from work in adverse weather.  Employees who are unable to get to work because of hazardous weather conditions should notify their supervisor by calling in or by following the established guideline of the department.  In the event hazardous weather develops during the day, please communicate with your supervisor before leaving so all employees can be accounted for.


Hours worked on the 16th of the month through the last day of the month are entered no later than close of business on the last working day of the month. The 15th of the month is the payday for hours worked from the 16th through the last day of the month.

Paycheck Delivery

Students may sign up for Direct Deposit online through Appalnet at the Direct Deposit Enrollment tab under Self-Services.  Direct Deposit may take up to two months to take effect.

Download a printed version of the Student Temporary Employee Handbook

The Office of International Education and Development has resources on their website to help an International student with employment regulations, questions, and how to obtain a social security card.

Please have International students contact us to make an appointment for new hire paperwork processing if they have never worked on campus before.

The student must obtain and bring their social security card to the Office of Student Employment by the end of the semester that the student began work.

Please have the international student fill out a NC4 NRA instead of the NC4 or NC4EZ state tax forms.

Contact Us

Rm. 389, John E. Thomas
P.O. Box 32032
boone, NC 28608

Phone: (828) 262-4099
Fax: (828) 262-2834

Email: studentemployment@appstate.edu